You may have missed the story last month, but Los Angeles just had its first successful DUI prosecution against someone who was operating an electric scooter while impaired.
The man, 28, was riding a Bird e-scooter when he struck and knocked over a 64-year-old pedestrian on the sidewalk near Santa Monica Boulevard. The victim fell and suffered minor injuries, but the scooter driver failed to stop. He just kept going down the street. When police located the man, they measured his blood-alcohol level – it was .279, over three times the legal limit.
The man pleaded no contest to one count of operating a motorized scooter under the influence and one count of hit-and-run and was given 36 months of probation and ordered to pay restitution.
At the Compass Law Group, we have seen electric scooters cause more and more personal injuries. They are just the latest problem in a city where personal injuries are commonly caused by other people’s negligence.
When you need a Los Angeles personal injury attorney, you can count on us to be by your side.
When you go about your day, the last thing you expect is to get injured. Unfortunately, sometimes other people cause us harm. When you are hurt, your first concern is getting medical assistance. After that, you may wonder how you will afford your accident-related expenses.
Will insurance cover anything?
What if you are unable to work?
Personal injury cases arise in many ways, but let’s look at some of the most common:
- Vehicle Accidents – for the latest reporting year for California, there were over one hundred thousand vehicle accident injuries, with nearly 12,000 of them being classified as serious. These are often caused by careless, drunk, or distracted drivers.
- Violence – whether it is a gunshot, a case of domestic violence, or some other form of violence, the person responsible can be held responsible for personal injuries.
- Workplace Accidents – if an employer does not provide proper safety training or equipment for employees, they are creating a hazardous situation.
- Faulty Products – there are times when the products we buy and consume can cause us harm because they are faulty or mislabeled.
- Premises Cases – if a property owner or their employees fail to maintain a safe and secure environment, their patrons could be harmed.
These are just a few examples of how a personal injury may occur. If you have been harmed but are unsure of whether or not you have a case, please seek out a skilled and experienced attorney who can guide you through the process.
What Are Your Options
If you have been injured because of the negligent actions of another person, consider seeking legal assistance. We know that accident-related expenses can pile up quickly and we want to help you secure the compensation you deserve. At the Compass Law Group, our knowledgeable and experienced team is standing by.