What Happens If You are Partly to Blame for a Los Angeles Auto Accident?

What Happens If You are Partly to Blame for a Los Angeles Auto Accident

Auto accidents can be a harrowing experience, and often, the aftermath of the incident can be very overwhelming. Sadly, auto accidents are a common occurrence in Los Angeles, with over 55,000 fatalities in 2016 alone. In some cases, both drivers may be partially at fault for the accident. If you find yourself in a situation like this, it’s crucial to understand what happens and the steps that you can take to protect yourself. Keep reading to find out more about what happens if you are partly to blame for a car accident in Los Angeles.

 

Determining Fault in a Los Angeles Auto Accident

Determining fault is always the first step taken when dealing with an auto accident in Los Angeles. This is a process that may involve the police and insurance companies and requires an examination of the facts surrounding the accident such as the location, time, weather conditions, and the actions of both drivers involved. In some cases, determining fault might be a straightforward process, such as if one driver was clearly speeding or drove through a red light. However, there are other situations where it may not be as obvious, or where both drivers may have contributed.

 

How Fault is Determined

The legal principle of comparative negligence is used to determine fault in an auto accident in California. This means that each driver is responsible for a percentage of the accident based on their level of fault. For example, if one driver is found to be 70% at fault, and the other 30% at fault, then the first driver will be responsible for 70% of the damages.

 

Handling Insurance Companies

If you are found partly at fault for an auto accident in Los Angeles, you will need to deal with your insurance company and the other driver’s insurance company throughout the process. Insurance companies are responsible for investigating the accident and determining the level of fault for each driver. If you are found to be partially responsible for the accident, your insurance company will cover a portion of the damages based on the percentage of fault that you have been assigned.

It’s crucial to remember that your insurance company is out to make a profit. They will likely do as much as possible to reduce their costs, including trying to shift more of the blame onto you to reduce their liability. Because of this, it is always worth working with an experienced personal injury attorney who can protect your rights and ensure that you get a fair settlement.

 

Potential Consequences of Being Partly at Fault

There may be several consequences of being partly at fault for an auto accident in Los Angeles. The most obvious is that you may be liable for a percentage of the damages including property damage, medical expenses, and lost earnings. You may also be responsible for some or all of the other driver’s damages if you are found to be more than 50% at fault. Along with that, it may also impact your driving record and future insurance premiums.

Have you been found partially at fault for an auto accident? The Compass Law Group can help. We have six offices:

  • Beverly Hills HQ on 8665 Wilshire Boulevard, #302
  • Los Angeles office on 633 W 5th St 26th Floor
  • Long Beach office on 111 W Ocean Blvd, #400
  • Oakland office on 1901 Harrison St, #1100
  • San Francisco Office on 50 California St, #1500
  • Sacramento office on 500 Capitol Mall, #2350

Get in touch today for friendly legal advice and guidance on your case. Simply call now for a free consultation at 310 289 7126.

FREE CONSULTATION

Find out if you have a case in a few minutes, call us at (310) 289-7126

Recent Posts

Tragedy in Downey: Investigation Underway After Police Fatally Shoot Resident
Can I Sue Amazon for a Defective Product Injury?
Most Common Personal Injury Claims: Types and Causes Explained
What To Do After an Uber Accident in California?
How Do I Know If I Have a Good Settlement Offer? Evaluating Fairness in Personal Injury Cases

Our Headquarters

Skip to content