Bicycle accidents often result in serious injuries to the cyclist, many of which involve brain injuries. Even with proper helmets, cyclists are at far greater risk than motorists of suffering head trauma. If you have suffered a brain injury in a bicycle accident in California resulting from someone else’s negligence, the skilled attorneys of Compass Law Group, LLP are fully prepared to fight for your right to just compensation. If you have lost a loved one in such a horrible way, we have the knowledge and experience to litigate your wrongful death claim.
We are experienced in filing lawsuits against the city, county or state that bears responsibility for failing to clear or repair the road you were riding on or to maintain a traffic signal that caused your injury. We are also adept at litigating product liability cases if a defect in your bicycle caused the accident.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in California
Bicycle accidents can be caused by the same factors that result in other traffic accidents, such as:
- Reckless driving, e.g. speeding, DUI, distracted driving
- Poor weather conditions
- Poor road conditions
- Collisions with fixed objects
But bicycle accidents are riskier than other traffic accidents because:
- Motorists are less aware of bicycles on the roadway since they are so much smaller and narrower than other vehicles
- Motorists often refuse to share the road with cyclists, forcing the cyclists to ride too close to parked cars or on the shoulder, or cutting them off by turning in front of them
- There are no “fender benders” where bicycles are concerned since cyclists are unprotected by the cage of metal a car provides
Bicycle accidents are often caused by drivers who do not see cyclists at all or who see them but do not take necessary precautions to save those cyclists from potential injury. If a driver’s negligence or recklessness has caused your brain injury, you are entitled to the substantial damages you need for present medical and other expenses and possibly for future long-term care.
There are situations in which your injury may be the fault of another party who is not a motorist. Our team will provide you with the same powerful representation no matter who is responsible for your brain injury.
How Compass Law Group Can Help
Once you become our client, our sharp bicycle accident attorneys will take over all legal and logistical matters pertaining to your case so that you can spend your time healing from your trauma. We will:
- Handle all communications with opposing attorneys and insurance adjusters
- Investigate and photograph the site of your accident
- Interview witnesses
- Carefully examine police records and medical reports
- Check the defendant’s prior history for evidence of driver negligence or misconduct
- Consult with experts in relevant fields who may testify on your behalf
Most of all, we will formulate a strong strategy to fight for maximum compensation, both in and out of the courtroom, and will charge you no attorneys’ fee until we win your case.
Brain Injuries to Bicycle Accident Victims and the Symptoms They Cause
Some bicyclists suffer brain injuries mild enough to allow complete recovery, but too many suffer traumatic brain injuries with long-term consequences. Because the brain is so central to human functioning, symptoms of brain injuries cover an extremely broad range, and may include:
- Headache, confusion, lightheadedness
- Loss of consciousness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Memory loss
- Blurred vision or slurred speech
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Loss of sight or hearing
- Sleep and balance problems
- Irritability, anxiety, depression
- Cognitive impairment
- Mood instability
Some brain injury victims face lengthy recovery periods and extensive rehabilitation. Others may require constant lifelong care. At Compass Law Group, we have the knowledge and skillset necessary to frame your case in the most compelling way possible to increase your chances of receiving maximum compensation.
Damages Our Bicycle Accident Attorneys Will Fight For
As you probably know, insurance companies are always looking to protect their bottom line and get away with a negotiated settlement that is as low as possible. You don’t have to worry. Our attorneys know all the tricks they may use to try to decrease the amount they have to pay and have all the tactics necessary to combat their efforts.
We will fight aggressively to win you every dollar you deserve for:
- Lost income, now and going forward
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses
- Property damage
- Replacement services (e.g. house cleaning, cooking)
- Physical pain and emotional distress
- Permanent disability
- Extended nursing care
- Permanent scarring or other disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of household services
- Final medical costs, funeral expenses, loss of companionship in cases of wrongful death
As you can see, it is likely that, as the victim of a bicycle accident that has caused a brain injury, you are entitled to both economic and noneconomic damages. In addition, if egregious negligence or recklessness caused your brain injury (e.g. a drunk driver or a pothole that went reported and unrepaired for an extended period), we may also be able to win you punitive damages.
How Comparative Negligence Affects Your Brain Injury Case
In many bicycle accidents, both parties bear a measure of responsibility, for example, if the collision took place when you passed a stop sign as a speeding driver made an illegal turn. Nonetheless, California follows the principle of comparative negligence, so even if your behavior played a part in the accident you may still be awarded the damages you need to rework your life.
In cases of shared blame, the court will determine a percentage of fault for each party. The damages it awards for your injury will be reduced by your percentage of fault. This means that if the court finds you 20 percent responsible for the accident, a potential $1 million settlement will be cut to $800,000.
Contact Compass Law Group for Excellent, Empathic Legal Representation
Our bicycle accident law team knows the terrible trauma you have suffered and continue to suffer. Once you become our client, your cause will become our cause and we will support you every step of the way.
Contact our Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer today for a free, initial consultation to get the compensation you deserve for your brain injury.