Common Motorcycle Passenger Injuries in Los Angeles
The highly skilled motorcycle accident attorneys at Compass Law Group, LLP have won millions of dollars in personal injury settlements and verdicts for clients throughout California. If you have suffered serious harm while riding as a passenger on a motorcycle, and the accident was due to someone else’s negligence, call Compass Law Group. Contacting our capable lawyers is the first step toward receiving the damages you deserve.
Most everyone knows that motorcycles are dangerous — less stable than four-wheeled vehicles and lacking the latter’s external protective metal cage. While the majority of passengers who ride behind cyclists on the open road trust those holding the handlebars, the frightening reality is that those passengers are at even greater risk of severe injury or death than those in control.
There are several reasons that passengers are more often seriously injured or killed in accidents than cyclists. According to Reuters:
- Motorcycle passengers are much less likely to wear helmets and other protective gear than cyclists (Two-thirds of drivers wear helmets compared to 57.5 percent of passengers)
- Motorcycle passengers are more likely to be ejected from the motorcycle in an accident
- Even when helmeted, passengers are 5 percent more likely to suffer traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), probably because they are more likely to be flung to the pavement
- Cyclists themselves are behind a protective windshield and are firmly gripping the steering column, whereas their passengers have only the body of the cyclist to cling to
Because motorcycle passengers are typically friends or relatives of the drivers, it may be difficult to conceive of suing the person whose back you held right up until the accident. Nonetheless, if that individual’s negligence or recklessness caused you great harm, you will have to make a claim against his/her insurance to receive fair compensation.
If you and the cyclist are warmly connected, it is unlikely that he/she wants to deny you damages; that individual’s insurance company, however, may not be as generous. This is where our legal knowledge and negotiation/litigation prowess will make all the difference.
In addition to the traumatic brain injuries mentioned above, motorcycle accidents frequently result in other catastrophic injuries for passengers, including:
- Spinal cord injuries that may result in partial or complete paralysis
- Complex and/or multiple fractures
- Loss of vision or hearing
- Organ damage
- Loss of function of a body system
- Road rash or serious burns
We know that in addition to your physical injury, you are suffering from emotional distress, not to mention financial worries. We will work hard to win you compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income and lost earning power
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Permanent scarring or other disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If you have borne the ultimate heartbreak of losing a loved one to wrongful death, our legal team will advocate for you and your family tirelessly. No matter what the nature of your claim, you can count on Compass Law Group in your time of need. Because we understand how overwhelming your expenses are at this time, we will charge you no attorneys’ fees until we win your case.
Since it is highly improbable that you bear any fault in this motorcycle accident, Compass Law Group will invest the necessary time in pinpointing the defendant(s). There are several possible people or entities that may be to blame for your injury, including, but by no means limited to, the motorcyclist.
It is entirely possible that:
- The driver of another vehicle was reckless, impaired, or distracted
- The state or county responsible for road maintenance failed to repair a large pothole or to repair a broken traffic signal
- The manufacturer or seller of another vehicle or of the motorcycle itself is responsible for a mechanical defect that caused the collision
- The mechanic who failed to repair either vehicle properly bears the blame
In any case, our sharp motorcycle accident attorneys will get to the truth of the matter and identify the proper defendant. It is also entirely possible that more than one person was at fault, in which case we will sue all defendants so that you can receive every dollar you deserve.
Remember that as a passenger in a motorcycle accident, you are not (with almost unimaginable exceptions) the one at fault. Our compassionate attorneys know this. We also know that if you were not wearing a helmet or eye protection when you were injured, the cyclist is responsible for not providing you with protective gear. Let us take up your cause while you recuperate and adjust to your new normal. We are determined to ease your present and secure your future.
This list isn’t all-inclusive many personal injury suits have been raised based on different factors that aren’t included above. Our team of Los Angeles car accident attorneys can work on cases without anything out of pocket.
We’re old enough to have the necessary experience, yet young enough to use the most cutting-edge technology and tactics, and are determined enough to fight and outsmart the other side, every time.