Losing a loved one to negligence in an Uber accident is tragic. The emotional, logistical, financial, and legal complications of a fatal Uber accident can be overwhelming. If you live in or around Los Angeles, contacting Compass Law Group, LLP can help you regain your sense of balance and control.
Our Uber accident attorneys will assist you in pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit. We will fight aggressively to obtain the resources you need to restore your family’s economic security and sense of justice. It should be noted that we can pursue a wrongful death lawsuit for you only if you are legally considered a close relative, i.e. a spouse, domestic partner or child of the victim.
If none of these relatives exist, however, we can file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of a grandchild, stepchild, parent, sibling, or farther removed relative.
Why Uber Passengers May Be at Increased Risk of Fatal Injuries
There are several reasons Uber rides have become a popular travel option. Uber drivers are immediately accessible, offer cash-free rides, generally keep their cars clean and are more polite than taxi drivers since their ratings by passengers affect their income. Even so, Uber rides present certain inherent risks because:
- Uber drivers may be more distracted than other drivers since they navigate by GPS and are constantly texting customers and managers
- Uber drivers may have as little as 1 year of driving experience and are not carefully vetted (for example, Uber drivers, unlike taxi drivers, are not finger-printed)
- Uber drivers are not specially trained by the company in safe driving or navigation
- Uber drivers tend to work long hours and may have other jobs in addition to driving for Uber, so that are more likely to be fatigued or sleepy on the road
In addition, Uber drivers, like all drivers, areas prone to reckless driving as the general population. They may speed, weave, fail to signal, pass traffic signals or even drive while impaired. The fact that Uber cars increase traffic congestion makes all accidents more likely.
Although most Uber accidents are not very serious, that is no consolation if your loved one’s was fatal.
What Our Los Angeles Uber Accident Lawyers Can Do to Help You and Your Family
Once you become our client, we will:
- Handle all communications with opposing attorneys and insurance adjusters
- Investigate the site of your accident and examine any surveillance videos
- Investigate any history of similar negligence by involved parties
- Examine police records and medical reports
- Interview witnesses
- Identify all responsible parties
- Create a strong strategy for negotiations and, if necessary, litigation
- Consult with experts in pertinent fields whose testimony may help your case
Above all, our Uber accident attorneys will use our extensive knowledge of rideshare law to provide you with superior legal representation. We work on a contingency basis so you will be charged no attorneys’ fees until we win damages.
Los Angeles Uber Accidents Require Special Handling
Changes to California law made at the beginning of 2020 reclassified Uber drivers as employees of the company rather than independent contractors. This means that our attorneys may more easily be able to hold the Uber corporation accountable for the negligence of its drivers.
Because Uber holds million-dollar insurance policies for each of its drivers as long as they are “on the app” (i.e.actively working for Uber) at the time of the accident, we stand a good chance of winning you the compensation you are entitled to. In fact, in some cases, we may be able to recover more than the $1 million limit Uber claims is its cap.
Our astute Uber accident attorneys are also well-prepared to deal with situations in which another party, not Uber or its driver, is to blame for the fatal accident. We can file a wrongful death lawsuit against any one of the following parties if necessary:
- The driver of the other car
- The car manufacturer or seller who made or sold a vehicle with a defective part
- The government agency that failed to maintain or clear the roadway for safe passage
Whatever circumstances led to the death of your loved one in an Uber accident, we will support you every step of the way. Your cause will become our cause and we will use all of our well-honed legal tools to win you damages for your irreparable loss. You should be aware that we have a fine record of successful outcomes and are eager to add your case to our list.
Uber Accident Injuries that Can Be Fatal
Fatal car accident injuries commonly fall into one of two categories:  impact injuries in which the victim’s body collides with a stationary object or is hit by a moving one or  penetrating injuries in which an object pierces the victim’s skin, leading to open wounds.
There are numerous types of such injuries. Those most frequently fatal includes:
- Damage to the head and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries that result in paralysis and impede body functions (e.g. breathing)
- Broken bones which may damage and/or puncture the heart or another vital organ
- Internal bleeding which may not be detected before it damages organs or causes fatal hemorrhage
These fatal Uber accident injuries are commonly the result of the most deadly types of crashes:
- Head-on collisions
- T-bone accidents
- Direct side impacts
Whatever type of Uber accident caused your family member’s death, our Uber accident lawyers will uncover its cause and hold the responsible party accountable.
Damages We Will Fight to Win for You and Your Family
At Compass Law Group, we realize that there is no way we can fully compensate you for the loss of a loved one. Nonetheless, we will do everything in our power to make sure you receive damages for all of the following that apply in your case:
- Final medical costs
- Final long-term care
- Funeral and burial/cremation expenses
- Lost income (financial support), present and future
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of emotional support
If appropriate, we may also seek survival actions for the deceased’s severity of pain and apprehension of impending death during his or her final hours, days or weeks. If the negligence or recklessness that led to your relative’s death was especially egregious, we may also seek punitive damages.
Contact Our Experienced Los Angeles Uber Accident Attorneys Today
If you and your family are suffering the loss of a loved one in an Uber accident due to negligence, you have our deepest condolences. More importantly, you have our assurance that our legal team will fight tirelessly for the substantial compensation you need and deserve to secure your future. Contact our office today to schedule an initial free consultation.