If you or a loved one has suffered a burn injury due to another party’s negligence, turn to Compass Law Group, PC. Our accomplished California burn injury attorneys will work to help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve.
We are keenly aware that serious burn injuries are among the most painful, are potentially incapacitating, and are often slow to heal. Depending on the severity of your injury, you may also be facing long-term disability as well. Let our team help handle your claim so you can focus on recovering.
When you become our client, we will provide you the powerful representation you need and the personal attention you deserve. You will have peace of mind knowing that your claim will be handled by an experienced burn injury lawyer.
Our firm handles all burn injury cases on a contingency basis, which means there is never a fee until we recover for you. Contact our office today for a free consultation.
At Compass Law Group, LLP, a prominent California personal injury practice with a well-earned reputation for successful settlements, our burn injury attorneys have fine credentials and a strong sense of compassion.
Why You Need a Los Angeles Burn Injury Attorney
While there are countless personal injury attorneys in California, finding the right burn injury lawyer in Los Angeles is difficult. Burn injury claims typically involve unique circumstances, and the lasting trauma of a severe burn requires compassionate and knowledgeable counsel.
That’s where Compass Law Group comes in. During our initial consultation, we will determine whether you have a viable burn injury case. If so, we will:
- Investigate the cause of the incident that resulted in your burn injury
- Identify the responsible party
- Collect medical evidence documenting your injury
- Consult with medical experts to understand the full extent of your burn injury
- Handle all communications with insurers and opposing counsel
- Negotiate a fair and reasonable settlement on your behalf
- File a burn injury lawsuit, if necessary
Though you will probably not be able to make the call yourself for some time, a family member should contact our firm as soon as possible. Trust our legal team to provide you not only with legal counsel but with moral support. We recognize the depth of your physical and emotional scars and want nothing more than to win you the significant resources you will require to move into a safe, stable future.
Common Causes of Burn Injuries in California
Our experienced Los Angeles burn injury lawyer handles cases arising from all types of negligence, such as:
- Defective products — Products with design, manufacturing, or marketing defects like welding tools, electrical equipment, and backyard grills often cause burn injuries
- Automobile accidents — Victims of motor vehicle accidents can sustain thermal or friction burns or life-threatening burn injuries if there is an automobile fire or explosion
- Premises liability — Property owners can be held liable for unsafe or defective conditions (e.g. faulty wiring) that result in burn injuries caused by a building or apartment fire
- Workplace accidents — Workers in industrial plants and factories are at risk of chemical and thermal burns if safety rules and regulations are disregarded
Regardless of the cause of your injury, the team at Compass Law Group will handle your claim with care and fight to protect your rights.
Types of Burn Injuries
According to the American Burn Association, there are four basic types of burns:
- Thermal burns — This is the most common type of burn injury that occurs when body surfaces are exposed to flame or heat in the home or workplace
- Scalding burns — This type of burn is caused by hot liquid (e.g. boiling water, steam, scalding tap water, spilled coffee)
- Electrical burns — This burn injury occurs when an individual comes into contact with an electrical arc
- Chemical burns — These injuries are typically work-related, often occur at factories and industrial plants, and can damage the skin, underlying tissue, eyes, nasal cavity, mouth, and lungs
Also, there are four classifications of burn injuries, based on the degree of severity and how deeply their damage penetrates the body:
- First-degree burns are superficial, affecting only the first layer of skin (the epidermis). Though painful, first-degree burns do not result in burn injury lawsuits.
- Second-degree burns are more serious, causing blisters and sometimes requiring skin grafts in order to heal properly.
- Third-degree burns are considered severe and may need reconstructive surgery as well as skin grafts. They may destroy nerves, hair follicles, and sweat glands.
- Fourth-degree burns are life-threatening because they can damage skin, nerve endings, fat, muscle, and bone, which can result in permanent scarring, disability, or death.
Beyond burning various layers of skin, serious burns can result in complications, including infection, blood clots, hyperthermia, and necrosis (death of tissue).
What Burn Victims Endure
Unfortunately, serious burns have long-lasting consequences. Beyond destroying skin, they can damage or destroy the underlying tissue: fatty tissue, muscle, nerve, even bone. Also, burn victims are easily dehydrated and frequently suffer from smoke inhalation.
When you have been severely burned, in all likelihood you will be hospitalized for an extended period and require long-term rehabilitation. Burn victims often require many surgeries and multiple skin grafts and are left with scarring and disfigurement or loss of or limb. The physical and emotional pain is enormous and the financial toll is great, which makes having an experienced burn injury attorney crucial.
What Compass Law Group Can Do To Help
Our seasoned burn injury lawyer in Los Angeles will fight to win you the compensation you deserve, which includes economic and noneconomic damages
- Economic damages cover actual losses, such as lost wages, medical expenses, and loss of earning capacity
- Noneconomic damages are awarded for intangible losses, such as pain and suffering, permanent disfigurement, scarring, loss of enjoyment of life
Above all, our team will stand by you every step of the way and work to make sure all your future medical and financial needs are met.
At Compass Law Group, we are keenly aware that burn injuries are overwhelming not only for the victim but loved ones as well. Our legal team is committed to helping you achieve the best possible result in or out of the courtroom. Contact our office today so we can start working on your case.