If you have lost a close relative to wrongful death in the Los Angeles area, the personal injury trial attorneys of Compass Law Group, LLP are well-prepared to help you file a lawsuit to hold the appropriate party accountable. Though we are well aware that we can never fill the hole left by your loved one’s absence, we will do our very best to provide security for your family’s future and to give you the sense of peace that comes with the feeling that justice has been done. Though there are no guarantees, we have an impressive history of successful outcomes and will charge you no attorneys’ fees until we win you damages.
Compass Law Group, LLP Can Help
Though we are well aware that we can never fill the hole left by your loved one’s absence, we will do our very best to provide security for your family’s future and to give you the sense of peace that comes with the feeling that justice has been done.
How is wrongful death defined in California?
While the death of anyone you love, particularly if that individual dies prematurely, may seem “wrongful,” the law recognizes only death caused by the negligence, recklessness, or intention of another person as “wrongful death.” As wrongful death attorneys, we handle a broad range of wrongful death cases, including those stemming from:
- Drunk or reckless driving accidents
- Premises liability, e.g. slip and falls, burns, dog bites, exposure to toxins, swimming pool accidents
- Product liability, such as death resulting from a defective car, toaster, toy, lawnmower
- Sexual assault
- Catastrophic accidents, e.g. at a construction site, playground, park, school, or place of business
No matter where or how your relative died, our skilled wrongful death attorneys will fight fiercely to try to win you the substantial damages you deserve. Consult with us as soon as possible so we can begin tackling your case.
Not Just Anyone Can File a Wrongful Death Claim
California law only allows those with close family ties to file claims after a perceived wrongful death. The following people are at the front of the line:
- Surviving spouse
- Domestic partner
- Surviving children
In cases in which there is no direct descendant of the deceased, the law permits anyone entitled to inherit property by the rules of intestate succession (i.e. succession when the deceased has not left a will). This may include parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, and other family members.
If other individuals — such as grandparents of the deceased or putative (accepted) spouse, children, or stepchildren — can prove financial dependency on the deceased person, they also may have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit. In California, with few exceptions, a wrongful death lawsuit must be filed within 2 years of the death.
What We Must Prove to Win Your Wrongful Death Claim
In order to win your wrongful death claim must prove that:
- The defendant owed a duty of care to the victim
- The party breached that duty of care
- The breach led to the accident/incident and injuries that resulted in the death
- The death resulted in severe losses to you and your family
It should be noted here that, if the harm that came to your loved one was inflicted deliberately or with malice, you can proceed with a civil wrongful death lawsuit whether or not the defendant is arrested, tried, or convicted of a crime. In the case of egregious behavior on the part of the defendant, you may be entitled to punitive damages as well as economic and non-economic ones.
What Compass Law Group’s Highly Competent Attorneys Will Do to Help
We know that the situation you’re in is overwhelming and emotionally exhausting. Once you become our clients, you can concentrate on adjusting to your painful new normal while we:
- Handle all communications with opposing counsel and insurance adjusters
- Investigate the particulars of the event that caused your relative’s death
- Examine police records, medical reports, and any other pertinent documents
- Look into the possibility that the defendant has previously engaged in reckless behavior
- Interview witnesses
- Consult with experts in related fields who may testify on your behalf
Most of all, we will use our impressive litigation skills to make every effort to win your case.
Damages We Will Fight to Win
If we win your case, the law entitles you to receive, depending on specific circumstances, some or all of the following
- Medical and end of life costs for the deceased
- Funeral and burial/cremation expenses
- Lost income the deceased would have provided if she/he had lived
- Loss of household services the deceased would have provided
- Loss of love, consortium, moral support, guidance
As you can clearly see, the law includes intangibles in the list, acknowledging that losing a loved one involves the loss of far more than earning capacity. Though it is impossible to quantify such losses, the law does its best to supply some measure of the security the deceased would have offered.
Contact Compass Law Group Today to Right this Terrible Wrong
Tragically, no one can bring back your loved one, but pursuing legal restitution can provide you and your family with a measure of control over the event that created all this turmoil and anguish. Our compassionate attorneys will be on your side every step of the way, doing everything in our power to give you comfort now and going forward.
Contact our dedicated Los Angeles wrongful death attorney today for a free, initial consultation.
We’re old enough to have the necessary experience, yet young enough to use the most cutting-edge technology and tactics, and are determined enough to fight and outsmart the other side, every time.