Los Angeles Common Truck Accident Injuries
Truck accidents, in Los Angeles as elsewhere, often result in severe injuries, especially when the collision is between a tractor trailer and a much smaller vehicle. At Compass Law Group, PC, our legal team has firsthand knowledge of the carnage that can result from truck accidents since our personal injury attorneys are often tasked with fighting for the rights of victims. Most of the time, it is the drivers or passengers of the smaller vehicles who suffer the most catastrophic injuries or are killed in truck accidents.
If you have been severely injured or lost someone you love in a truck accident due to the negligence of another, your life has doubtless been turned upside down. Pain, shock, and disorientation combine with financial problems to create a maelstrom of trauma. Our experienced truck accident attorneys will help you find your way through by providing you with logistical assistance, excellent legal representation, and compassionate support.
The kind of injuries suffered may be affected by many factors, such as:
- The rate of speed of the vehicles
- The weather conditions
- The type of truck accident e.g. rollover, jackknife, rollover, under-ride
- Which part of your car was impacted during the collision
- What your location or position in the car was at the moment of impact (e.g driver or passenger, sitting up or bending over)
The variables are almost countless: Were you wearing a seatbelt? Were you ejected from the vehicle? Did a fire result from the crash? Did your airbags inflate properly? Were you compressed between two hard surfaces? Were you hit by a flying projectile?
Whatever the unique circumstances of your truck accident, you can trust our highly skilled truck accident attorneys to discover who is responsible for your injuries and to hold that party accountable. You should be aware that in California even if you are partially (or even largely) to blame for the accident, you are eligible to receive monetary damages. The percentage of your liability will, however, be deducted from the settlement you receive.
Common Injuries Suffered by Truck Accident Victims
Truck accident victims may suffer serious injuries to just about any part of the body, including:
- Lacerations that require stitching or invasive surgery
- Neck and back injuries from whiplash to herniated discs
- Broken bones, ranging from simple to compound fractures (in which the bone breaks through the skin, greatly increasing the risk of infection)
- Burns that may require skin multiple skin grafts and result in permanent scarring
- Crush injuries that occur if the body is compressed between two hard surfaces as frequently happens if a small car is in an under-ride accident, trapped under the truck
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can result in loss of consciousness, problems with vision, hearing and speech, seizures, sleep abnormalities, cognitive damage
- Broken ribs and other thoracic injuries, such as a collapsed or punctured lungs
- Internal bleeding which, unless treated immediately, may lead to death
- Damage to, or loss of, internal organs, such as loss of spleen or damage to liver, uterus, intestine, kidney, bladder, or pancreas that may result in reparable or irreparable damage to the digestive tract, reproductive organs, endocrine system, etc.
- Spinal cord injuries that, depending on whether they affect sensory or motor nerves, may result in pain, tingling, numbness, or partial or complete paralysis
- Wrongful death
Truck accident injuries can occur because:
- You crashed into the windshield or were thrown from the car because you were not wearing a seatbelt
- Your seatbelt itself injured your abdomen
- Defective airbags did not inflate or exploded
- You banged against metal or glass in the car or collided with another passenger
- You were hit with an object in the car that became dangerously airborne at the moment of impact — such as a phone, iPad, or water bottle
No matter what type of injury you or a loved one has received, Compass Law Group is dedicated to putting your needs first. We will work tirelessly, fighting to win you damages commensurate with the extent of your economic and noneconomic losses. If a wrongful death has occurred, though we know we can not make your family whole again, we will do everything in our power to provide you with the solace of knowing that justice has been done.
Our capable truck accident attorneys will take over all communications with insurance adjusters and opposing attorneys. We will make it our business to investigate all aspects of your truck accident, including police reports, medical records, and witness accounts, to create a well-crafted courtroom strategy. During negotiation and litigation, we will fight aggressively to obtain damages for:
- Medical, rehabilitation, and pharmaceutical costs
- Lost income, present, and future
- Property damage or loss
- Alterations to your home to make it accessible
- Cost of household services you can no longer perform
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Long-term nursing care
- Permanent scarring or another disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Final medical costs, funeral costs, loss of financial and emotional support (in case of wrongful death)
If the circumstances of your truck accident were particularly egregious (e.g. if the truck driver was drunk or the trucking company had been informed that there was a problem with the truck’s steering and sent it out anyway), the court may also award you punitive damages over and above those listed above.
We know all too well how overwhelming daily life can be after a truck accident. Please remember that our lawyers are here to assist you in any way we can. As soon as you get in touch with us we will begin working hard to put you and your family back on a path to security and comfort.
This list isn’t all-inclusive many personal injury suits have been raised based on different factors that aren’t included above. Our team of Los Angeles car accident attorneys can work on cases without anything out of pocket.
We’re old enough to have the necessary experience, yet young enough to use the most cutting-edge technology and tactics, and are determined enough to fight and outsmart the other side, every time.