If you have been involved in a fatigued truck driver accident, Compass Law Group, P.C. is here to help. Our highly capable personal injury attorneys have been winning millions of dollars in damages for victims of negligence throughout California. We have in-depth legal knowledge and are experienced litigators. Whether negotiating with insurance adjusters or fighting opposing attorneys in a court of law, we have the right fatigued truck driver accident lawyer you can depend on.
Fatigued Truck Driver Lawyer Los Angeles
Our team is eager to protect your rights, now and in the future.
Why Fatigued Truck Driving Is All Too Common
As you are no doubt aware, driving while fatigued is extremely dangerous, especially if you are a truck driver, driving a vehicle 25 times the weight of most other vehicles on the road. Unfortunately, even though trucking is regulated by the federal government in terms of vehicle maintenance, training, and length of shifts, truck drivers are more likely to be driving while over-tired or drowsy than other drivers. Here’s why:
- Truck drivers, even under federal regulations, are permitted to drive 11 hour shifts
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) found that 28 percent of commercial truck drivers have mild to severe sleep apnea (often undiagnosed), causing them to be drowsy during the day
- Many truck drivers take medication or illegal drugs to help them stay awake which end up backfiring and leaving them more exhausted and less focused
- Truck drivers who drink alcohol to relax after long shifts may interrupt their sleep patterns and so interfere with their focus, even if they’re not driving while impaired
- Many truck drivers work night shifts, which interferes with their normal Circadian rhythms
To add to this disturbing catalogue, the CDC reports that sleepiness and extreme fatigue often precipitate a calamity, even if the driver remains “awake.” The fuzzy state we all experience before dozing off has been shown to result in:
- Inattention to the task at hand
- Slower reaction time
- Impaired cognition (i.e. ability to think clearly or make thoughtful decisions)
- Impaired vision as a consequence of eye spasms and/or dry and irritated eyes.
As far as impaired decision-making ability goes, those who are sleepy have a greater tendency to ignore the warning signs that they should not be driving — such as yawning, missing an exit, drifting into the next lane, or hitting a rumble strip. Truck drivers are also less likely to pull over for needed rest because their employment depends on reaching their destination according to schedule.
Serious Truck Accident Injuries May Be Life-Altering
Partly because of the tremendous size disparity between trucks like tractor-trailers and cars, and partly because trucking accidents typically occur at high speed, injuries of fatigued truck driver accidents tend to be severe, or even catastrophic. They may change the course of a life in a matter of seconds by resulting in:
- Paralysis due to a spinal cord injury
- Sensory, motor, or cognitive impairment due to traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Amputation of a limb
- Crush injury affecting bones, muscles, or organs
- Loss of vision or hearing
- Severe burns
- Damage to, or loss of, an organ
Whether your injury requires prolonged therapy or causes permanent damage, you will likely be incapacitated and unable to work or follow your normal routine, at least temporarily. At Compass Law Group, we are acutely aware that during this period when your income may sharply diminish, the medical bills and accident-related costs will continue to mount. For this reason, we will not charge you for an initial consultation and will charge you no attorneys’ fees until we win your case.
It is also possible that you have lost a loved one to wrongful death in a fatigued truck driver accident. If this is the case, our compassionate attorneys will support you in every way we can. Though we know we can’t lessen the magnitude of your loss, we will fight hard and long to get you remuneration for final medical expenses, funeral costs, and loss of companionship and financial support.
We Are Committed To Providing You with the Damages You Need and Deserve
Our savvy truck driver accident attorneys know exactly how to calculate the present and future costs you will require to see you and your family through. In many cases, we may remind you of costs you haven’t previously considered. We will seek just compensation for:
- Medical and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages, present and future
- Pain and suffering
- Extended nursing care
- Psychological counseling
- Permanent disability
- Permanent scarring or other disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
- Alterations to make your home accessible
If the truck driver behaved in an especially heinous manner, or if the trucking company neglected to properly train or screen its driver, the court may award you punitive damages over and above your other compensation. Punitive damages are designed to punish the defendant while dissuading others from engaging in such egregious conduct.
Why Compass Law Group Is Right for You
Because we have been in practice for decades, we have extremely well-honed negotiation and litigation strategies. We understand the importance of approaching your case with diligence as well as determination. We will, therefore, cover all our bases by:
- Representing you in dealings with opposing attorneys and insurance companies
- Filing all necessary paperwork
- Investigating the site of the accident
- Examining police records and medical reports
- Investigating whether the truck driver or trucking company has a record of misconduct
- Interviewing witnesses
- Consulting with experts in related fields who may testify on your behalf
- Keeping you in the loop concerning any important developments in your case
Don’t take our word for any of this. You can easily confirm the outstanding credentials of our lead attorneys, the history of our successful outcomes, and the positive words of our grateful clients by looking at our website. Contact us as soon as possible. Our team is eager to protect your rights, now and in the future.
Contact our experienced fatigued truck driver accident attorneys to schedule a free, initial consultation.
This list isn’t all-inclusive many personal injury suits have been raised based on different factors that aren’t included above. Our team of Los Angeles car accident attorneys can work on cases without anything out of pocket.
We’re old enough to have the necessary experience, yet young enough to use the most cutting-edge technology and tactics, and are determined enough to fight and outsmart the other side, every time.