Los Angeles Bad Weather Accident Attorney
Bad weather is a factor in a great many traffic accidents (20 percent according to the U.S. Department of Transportation), but it is not usually the only factor. At Compass Law Group, LLP, our experienced personal injury attorneys know all too well how often driver negligence or recklessness during adverse weather conditions is responsible for serious injuries or fatalities. If you have been injured in a bad weather accident in California, you will find our legal team as compassionate as we are capable. We will give you the superior legal representation you need and deserve.
A wide range of bad weather conditions may make driving difficult and dangerous, including:
- Fog — Though fog “comes in on little cat feet,” it can make driving very dangerous by greatly restricting visibility. Because it is patchy, it can suddenly plunge drivers into near blindness and make accidents almost inevitable. San Francisco and its surrounding area, known for dense fogs, can be especially hard to navigate when the fog rolls in.
- Heavy rain and thunderstorms — There needn’t be a cyclone to endanger travelers. Weather that is not uncommon can still result in dangerous driving conditions, even if just for a short period of time. Heavy rain makes pavement slick and unmanageable, sometimes causing cars to slide off the road or collide with other vehicles, become immersed in sudden flood waters, or hydroplane out of control.
- Snow — Though snow is mostly limited to small mountainous sections of the state, California drivers may encounter snowy conditions. Even a light snowfall can increase the chances of having an accident due to impaired visibility and slippery road conditions. In accumulating snow, windshield wipers become coated and less efficient, windows on all sides are quickly covered with flakes, car lights are less visible, and brakes and steering may not function properly. Heavy snowfall also covers traffic signs and signals.
- Ice –Whether it comes as hail during summer thunderstorms, sometimes large enough to damage car roofs or windshields, or as tiny pellets of sleet during the winter, ice can present a real hazard. Beyond the distinct possibility of slippage on icy roads, falling ice presents a noisy distraction, and often leaves patches of “black ice” to endanger us after it has stopped falling.
- Wildfires — Although not precisely “weather,” the seemingly endless wildfires of California present many hazards to drivers. Apart from the obvious destructive power of the fires themselves, heavy smoke can interfere with vision (not to mention breathing) for many miles, and crowds of cars trying to escape on a limited number of roadways present their own dangers. The powerful winds that spread these fires can also contribute to car accidents, not only by blowing vehicles and debris, but by downing wires and blowing over traffic signs and signals.
Even the bright sunny days California is famous for can cause accidents when sun glare is at drivers’ eye level. During certain minutes just after sunrise and just before sunset, drivers can literally be “blinded by the light.”
There are always some drivers who ignore weather conditions. They do not seem to have gotten the memo that there is fog blanketing the highway or that a driving rain is blurring everyone’s vision and flooding the road surface. These reckless individuals may be speeding instead of slowing down to accommodate inclement weather, trying to pass other vehicles as the roadway narrows, or even driving while under the influence or distracted in spite of the enormity of the risk to themselves and others.
If you have been severely harmed because of such behavior, you have the legal right to receive damages to cover your medical costs and other expenses related to your incapacity. Our car accident attorneys will do everything possible to hold the party responsible for your physical, emotional, and financial distress accountable in a court of law.
We Will Do All That We Can After Your Bad Weather Accident
We understand the ramifications of serious personal injury. Whether you suffer a nasty fracture that results in surgery and many months of recuperation, or are permanently disabled by severe burns, spinal cord or traumatic brain injuries, or loss of a limb, we know that  you have been through a life-altering event  your loved ones have also been affected by your accident and  money will not put everything right. This is particularly true if your injuries have been catastrophic or if you have lost a close relative to wrongful death in the accident.
Nonetheless, we will work tirelessly to bring you the compensation that will move your life, and the lives of your family members, in a positive direction. We want you to have the resources you need to get back on an even keel and to look forward to a secure future. To this end, we will fight aggressively to get you damages for economic losses, like:
- Medical and rehabilitation costs
- Property damage
- Loss of income
- Loss of earning power
- Prolonged nursing or household care
- Psychological counseling
and non-economic (intangible) losses like:
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Permanent scarring or other disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Final medical costs, funeral expenses, loss of emotional/financial support (in cases of wrongful death)
Our traffic accident attorneys have won millions of dollars for our clients and we are counted among the top trial attorneys in the nation. We would like nothing better than to file a lawsuit on your behalf against the party who harmed you. We will remain laser-focused on winning you the significant damages that will help you navigate the difficulties you now face and provide you and your family with a brighter future. Your initial consultation with us is free and we will charge you no attorneys’ fees until we win your case
This list isn’t all-inclusive many personal injury suits have been raised based on different factors that aren’t included above. Our team of Los Angeles car accident attorneys can work on cases without anything out of pocket.
We’re old enough to have the necessary experience, yet young enough to use the most cutting-edge technology and tactics, and are determined enough to fight and outsmart the other side, every time.